Wow! Half-a-year old! We have felt like it has gone by so fast all along, but you know how in the moment things seem slow but you look back and you can't believe the amount of time that has passed? I haven't ever felt the slow thing, per se, but at this 6 month milestone I look back and realize the time since this goofy boy arrived has passed even more quickly than I thought! What a scary thing as a parent...and just as a person staring my final year in the twenties in the face (yes, laugh, those of you with more - shall we say "wisdom" - than I). One thing that has definitely been reinforced to us during month 6 is that we have an extremely active little guy on our hands. Even as I sit here and write, he is chewing on - no, not wearing - his sandal, army crawling his way through a pile of spit-up he's deposited on the rug, and kicking his legs NON-STOP!
- EATING: He's been eating cereals for about a month or so now, the first day he LOVED it and nearly fell out of his chair (had we not been standing there, of course) leaning toward another bite. He also eats sweet potato and mango, but we've only added in those others in the past week.
- SLEEPING: Well, we have finally had success teaching him to fall asleep on his own! Just a week before he and I went to Mississippi, we decided to give it a go again and he was a rockstar! He was so ready to be out of the swaddle so he could roll around during the night and now he sometimes doesn't even want me to snuggle him for a few minutes before I lay him down if he is tired! Those that have been around me much know that this has been a HUGE point of stress for me so I am praising God that he has developed Callan to this point! With that he is SLEEPING 12 HOURS over night which is very exciting!
- SCOOTING: Callan is army crawling just about anywhere he wants to go and when he sees something he wants there's almost nothing that could stop him from getting it!
- FLYING: He had his first plane flight on a trip to see cousin Ella, Aunt Farah, and Uncle Kyle in Mississippi. He did very well on the plane and had lots of fun there, but was glad to come home and see Daddy.
- CHEWING: We are still amazed he hasn't cut any teeth yet, he chews on EVERYTHING! Shoes, feet, wrists (his and anyone else's), cardboard boxes, wooden chair spindles, armrests on the plane (he tried anyway, I didn't let that one fly--gross!)...you get the idea!
- SITTING: We are sitting unsupported, but a little unsteady sometimes and not yet sitting up on his own.
- PLAYING: C's favorite toys are his Sophie giraffe, the little farm animals that go with his John Deere tractor, his exersaucer, and a little activity cube from cousin Ella.
- LAUGHING: This is by far one of the most satisfying things he does yet for us! He is ticklish and loves funny voices repeating the same random phrases that make him belly laugh.
- GROWING: We don't have his 6-month doctor appointment for a few days yet so we don't know specifics, but he is quickly outgrowing his 6-month clothes and moving on to 9-month in some brands. Yikes!
It has been a busy month as we continue getting to know this little guy and my night-owl husband finds an earlier bedtime much more necessary these days. We are one tired mom/dad pair! How do people do more than one?!?!?! By God's grace, we do feel that we're finally settling into rhythm and feeling comfortable in our skin as parents, or maybe less uncomfortable and freaked out would be a better way to put it, either way we feel like it is a great place to be!